Weekend expedition to Kralova Hola, 2007
- First day (2007-06-02 ?)
Last but not least, the final climb to the great mountain:
- Train: Budapest (7:05) -> Somoskőújfalu (hungarian-slovakien border, 9:32).
Full price: 2040HUF, bicycle ticket neccessary: 510HUF.
- Somoskőújfalu -> Fülek (Filakovo): 12km, 100m descent.
- Filakovo -> Ozdany (Osgyán): 29km, level.
- Ozdany -> Hrachovo: 15,5km, short climb in the middle, around 100m gain
shortly before Hrachovo.
- Hrachovo -> Tisovec: 25km, almost level (only 100m climb for 25km).
- Tisovec -> Muran: 11km, there is a saddle in the middle at 575m.
Easy, rather short climb.
- Murán -> Cervana Skala: 14km, there is a saddle in the middle at 965m.
Moderate, quite long climb.
So from the border to Cervana Skala altogether 94,5 km distance, and 1000m
Cervana Skala -> Kralova Hola: around 15km, around 1200m height gain.
It's hard. We have the chance to catch the sunset on the summit if we start
from Cervana Skala at 18:00 latest!
Sleeping in Sumiac/Telgart/Helpa/??
Second day (2007-06-03 ?)
We have several alternatives:
- Coming back on the same route, but the opposite direction. Since we start
from Telgart (800m) and finish much lower (300m) at Somoskoujfalu, this will be
much easier than the first day. If we start at 8:00 in the morning we can reach
the border around 16:00. From there we can take a train to Budapest, or cycle
to Budapest (if we have the stamina).
- Other possibility is to visit the ruins of Muran castle. In that case we might
be on the border a bit later, but we can still catch a train to Budapest (last
one departs at 20:36).
- Or we can choose a total different route, through Brezno or Revuca or
whatever we like...
hungarian train schedule
photo taken from the summit (Thanx, Lucia!)
My last unsuccessful climb in last May...